What is Laughter Yoga?
Laughter Yoga is a unique concept where anyone can laugh for no reason without relying on humour jokes or comedy. We initiate laughter as an exercise in a group but with eye contact and childlike playfulness, it soon turns into real and contagious laughter.
The reason we call it Laughter Yoga is because it combines laughter with yogic breathing exercises. This brings about more oxygen to the body and the brain which makes one feel more energetic and healthy.
The concept of Laugher Yoga is based on a scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between fake and real laughter if done with willingness. One gets the same physiological and psychological benefits. It was started by a medical doctor Dr Madan Kataria from India in 1995.
Today there are thousands of Laughter Clubs in more the 106 countries. In addition to social Laughter Clubs, Laughter Yoga is practiced in corporations, fitness centres, yoga studios, centres for seniors, schools, colleges, universities and, self-help cancer groups.
What are the benefits of Laughter Yoga?
Laughter Yoga can change your mood within minutes by releasing endorphins from your brain cells. This makes you feel good and if you are in a good mood you do everything well. It makes you cheerful throughout the day.
Laughter Yoga reduces stress and strengthens the immune system. If your immune system is strong you will not fall sick easily and if you have chronic health conditions, it will help to heal faster.
Our brain needs 25% oxygen for optimal functioning. Laughter exercises can increase net supply of oxygen to our body and brain which helps to improve efficiency and performance. You will feel energetic and can work more than your normally do and focus without getting tired.
The quality of our life depends upon quality of our friends and our relationships. Laughter is a great connector of people and brings people together improving relationships.
Anyone can laugh when times are good, but Laughter Yoga teaches people to laugh unconditionally so that they can laugh even when times are hard. It provides strength in adversity, a coping mechanism to help people keep a positive mental attitude regardless of circumstances.
What happens in a Laughter Yoga class?
A typical one-hour Laughter yoga session will include a combination of the following exercises:
- Gentle breathing and stretching
- Playful laughter exercises that reduce inhibitions and shyness and convert simulated laughter into natural, spontaneous laughter
- Clapping exercises
- Deep breathing exercises that help participants regain breath after hearty laughter
- The session usually includes 45 mins of laughter followed by 15 minutes of relaxation. (Yoga Nidra)
Want to join our FREE Laughter Yoga Club in Milsons Point, Sydney? Email Alison for details
Scientifically proven benefits of Laughter Yoga
The concept of Laughter Yoga is based on a scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between fake and real laughter. One gets the same physiological and psychological benefits.
Clinical research conducted at Bangalore, India and in the United States has proved that Laughter lowers the level of stress hormones (epinephrine, cortisol, etc) in the blood.
Who participates in a Laughter Yoga Class?
Laughter Yoga classes are suitable for laughter clubs, for anyone in the community, retirement villages, hospitals, in schools and also for corporates as they provide many health benefits and they are also great for team building.
Laughter Yoga Classes are lots of fun!
Interested in becoming a CERTIFIED Laughter Yoga teacher?
Laughter Yoga Leader Certification Course
Become accredited to run your own Laughter Yoga classes
Attend a two-day training course to become a fully Certified Laughter Yoga Leader affiliated with Dr. Kataria (the founder of Laughter Yoga)
Why learn Laughter Yoga with us?
- You will receive the official manual in hard copy by Dr Madan Kataria
- Your trainer, Alison Hutchens, was personally trained by Dr Madan Kataria who is the the founder of Laughter Yoga worldwide.
- You will have ongoing support after completing the training.
- The training is fully accredited, and on successful completion you will receive a certificate from the International Laughter Yoga University.
- The training is comprehensive and runs over two full days and you will learn both the practical skills and the theoretical basis of laughter yoga. There is a list of 100 laughter exercises
Who is this Laughter Yoga Training designed for?
Laughter Yoga training is for everyone, especially:
- Anyone who would like to add more laughter into their life
- Anyone who’d like to start a Laughter Club
- Activity and recreation therapists
- People suffering depression
- Aged care professionals
- Healthcare staff
- Human Resource professionals
- Business people
- Marriage and family therapists
- People with anger management issues
- People suffering anxiety
- People coping with grief/sadness
- Sales professionals
- Social Workers
- Staff members in assisted living facilities
- Well-being professionals
What we cover in the training
- history of therapeutic laughter and laughter yoga clubs
- unique features of laughter yoga
- the physiology and psychology of laughter
- hard-wired stress and laughter systems
- benefits of laughter yoga
- contraindications of laughter yoga
- what happens in a laughter yoga session
- laughter meditation
- running laughter yoga sessions
- the laughter leader
- social laughter clubs
- starting a laughter club
- promotional seminars
- laughter yoga as a career choice
- laughter yoga for the business world
- laughter yoga for seniors
- laughter yoga for children
- laughter yoga professionals
- laughter yoga best practices
- the importance of oxygen
- forty foundation exercises
- where to find laughter resources
This is a basic training course that will teach you how to lead a laughter yoga session for social clubs, corporate organisations, seniors, school children and people with special needs. You will acquire the basic facilitation skills required to lead a group of people through a laughter session, laughter meditation and relaxation. You will also learn the history, concept, philosophy and different steps of Laughter Yoga and meditation. Once certified, you can also obtain insurance to practice as a laughter professional.
For Enrolment Information & upcoming Course Dates, email Alison: